Thursday, December 11, 2008

a vampire story: Chap 3

"I wonder how long has it been..."

"Centuries."

The spaced-out azure blue eyes shot a burning glance at me and I thought the world would end - now.

He sighed relunctantly as he regained his composure. "I hate interviews, really," his voice drifted into a soft tone, his chin everas he trailed circles with his delicate forefinger on the matt surface of the table.

I tried to be diplomatic. "It is hard to be a star." However it is fascinating being one of the most talked-about celebrities. Holograms of him springing everywhere, announcing his arrival - when all he ever wanted was to maintain a low-profile.

"Centuries.." He let out another sigh. "Yes, it's been long.." His voice was strong as he regained his composure again. "It all happened when I was in school."

"S-s-schoool..?" my voice constricted to a squeak as the azure-blue eyes shot a glance at me again.

"I was human then."

I was perspiring profusely. "N-no, really sir, that's not what I meant," I stammered.

He opened his mouth to continue but I thought I needed to tell him. "Vampires are human too!"

There. I said it. What I felt, what I thought. Seeing the questioning look in his eyes I dared myself to continue, "Vampires have every right to live just as they are! I mean, there are blood pills now."

His voice was slient yet sharp, slicing the very air that I was breathing, "But there weren't any then, were they?"

"No-" I had to get this straight -"Food chain! It's normal...really. I-"

"Blast you, boy!" A voice boomed so loud in my ears that my head was throbbing and the world jerked forth, my vision was blinded - I really couldn't breathe. It was then I realised he gripped onto the neck of my shirt. No, I must stand on my ground, I told myself, get a hold, tell him! "It is.." I gasped out my words, "normal."

The world spun around me as I caught my first whiff of fresh air and I was coughing - I could spurt out blood if I want to.

"school."

His voice sounded like an impatient - but sullen - teacher. I did my best to lift my heavy head in the midst of the red-and-black countless spots that were filling my vision.

"I apologise for my impulsive behaviour." His voice lowered. "You are right. It is hard for me to accept this..this-" his gesture was near to extreme agitation- "'food chain'."

"School.." I tried my best to distract him.

"Ah yes."

No comments: